Dawson County Schools
As a parent or guardian, you may request to have your child transferred to another public school within the school system as long as the system has determined that there is available classroom space at the school of request. Please keep in mind that if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the system, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school as long as your child remains at that school. If a parent requests a transfer to a school that does not have the services required by the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP), HB 251 does not require the school to develop those services as long as they are available within the local school system.
Classroom space may be available at certain grade levels in the elementary schools. If transfer requests exceed the available space, then a lottery selection process will be utilized after the following criteria are satisfied:
1. Students who are attending a school that is in any level of Needs Improvement
2. 2. Students who have a disability whose IEP or IAP requires placement at a particular school
3. 3. Students who are homeless
4. 4. Students who have programmatic needs that are only available at a certain school
5. 5. Students entitled to attend a certain school as a result of being children of employees
The system will accept new Out of Zone Transfer Requests for the 2016-2017 school year from April 15, 2016, until 5:00 p.m. on May 13, 2016. Parents will receive notification of approval or denial by email or standard U.S. mail on or before July 1, 2016.
Completed form must be returned to the school of your choice by the date shown above. No form will be accepted after this date.
Please click here for a printable version of the Out of Zone Request Form.